SEO is a set of practices that boosts your website in Google rankings. If you wish to improve your website or blog’s ranking and make it appear on the first page of the search engine then you must apply good SEO tactics. We will help you quickly improve with our top SEO tips.
In order to fully grasp what SEO is, we must first know what are some of the most used SEO terms and jargon. If you’re a beginner, the information below will help you a lot.
15 SEO Terms And SEO Tips For Beginners
1. Link: A URL is the address of a page and can found in browser address bar. A link is a copy of that URL that’s placed within content so that a user can click on it and be redirected to the page.
SEO Tips: One of the most effective strategies to increase traffic on your website is to have good inbound links to your website. Accessily’s guest post service helps you to do that.
2. Anchor Text: An anchored text is a link in the form of text that directs the visitor to a new page when it is clicked upon. This type of text is underlined and has a different color than the usual text on the page and is mostly blue in color. After clicking on it once, it changes its color to purple.
SEO Tips: Anchor text also helps the search engines to better understand the content of the linked page.
3. Broken Link: A word or chunk of text that is hyperlinked but does not direct to a new destination is a broken link. Chances are that the link might not have been copied successfully or there could be a spelling mistake.
SEO Tips: Never leave a broken link on your website. A broken link on your website will mean that you are not good at maintaining your site and it will give a bad impression to the readers.
4. Back Linking: This is by far one of the most essential SEO terms that you must be aware of. A back link is a link to your website that’s posted on another website. It is recommended to include many quality backlinks on your site to improve its ranking.
SEO Tips: Did I mention Accessily, already? We’re the first and best guest post marketplace, so give us a try!
5. Internal Linking: This type of linking is different from back linking because it doesn’t direct the person who clicked on it to a different website. Instead, it keeps the reader on the same site. For instance, directing the reader from the homepage to an about us page.
SEO Tips: Internal linking is a useful tactic that will help you direct the readers from one page to another. Moreover, you can also use this technique to direct readers onto the old content that is on your website. In this way, you can promote the content that you wrote years ago and still send traffic on it. It also gives those pages an SEO boost, both the new linking one and the old one.
(Bonus) Dofollow vs nofollow: Each link can be specified as “nofollow” , which tells search engines to not pass any SEO value to those pages. This helps website owners to reduce comment and forum spam from people just looking for backlinks.
“Dofollow” passes SEO value by default. Any link that you create (unless you specify it as nofollow) will be a dofollow.
SEO Tips:You can right click on a link and then “Inspect Element” to see if there’s any mention of “nofollow” for it.
6. Keyword: It is a word or a chain of words that a user types into the search engine. The purpose of these keywords is to bring up relevant pages and websites that have these keywords.
SEO Tips: If you want to increase traffic on your site, make sure to use relevant keywords in your content to attract readers. For example, if you run a pet store website then use relevant keywords such as vacuum cleaner for pets, best food for pets, etc.
7. Landing Page: The entry point of a website is referred to as a landing page. Its purpose is to turn visitors into leads. The better your landing page, the better your SEO will be for it. Google and other search engines will track how long someone stays on your website and adjust SEO value accordingly.
SEO Tips: A good landing page will get you more leads and increase your sales.
8. Meta Data: Information that is added to a webpage’s HTML section but is not available for the visitors to see. The purpose of metadata is to tell the search engines about the type of web pages your website has. It consists of meta tags such as meta description and meta title, etc.
SEO Tips: Make sure that you use relevant meta data on your site because if you don’t your site will drop in the rankings.
9. Blackhat: If you are taking SEO lessons or reading a guide to help you learn SEO then you must have come across this word, blackhat SEO . This is not an SEO practice but an unethical way of boosting your website’s rankings. In other words, Black Hat SEO refers to cheating and making your website improve in rankings.
SEO Tips: Never use black hat SEO technique whether you’re starting with a new blog or have an established one. If your website is caught by Google’s algorithm then you will have to face the consequences and kiss your search engine traffic goodbye because it is against Google’s policies.
10. Spider: Google and other search engines scour through the websites with the help of spiders, also called Google bots. The job of these spiders is to gain information from various websites and feed it to the search engine. This is how Google knows about your site and how it indexes pages.
SEO Tips: Many black hat SEO techniques are caught up by these spiders. Therefore, it is in your best interest to steer clear from blackhat SEO.
11. Indexed Pages: The number of pages that a search engine’s Web Spider can find while checking the site are called index pages.
SEO Tips: It’s a good practice to have your website’s pages indexed because it aids in improving the ranking of your site.
12. SEM: It stands for Search Engine Marketing and is associated with marketing products or services via search engine. SEO is one of the pillars of SEM and the other one is PPC (Pay Per Click). The combination of both brings your website up in the rankings.
SEO Tips: Once you’re established, SEO brings in residual traffic each month without having to pay (like the PPC). It’s also more cost effective in the long term. But, PPC can be an excellent for initial traffic when you’re just getting started.
13. Organic SEO: When visitors land on your website as a result of searching on the search engine via keywords then it is alternatively called Organic SEO. In other words, this is a natural way of bringing visitors to your site. No ads are involved in this kind of SEO.
SEO Tips: To improve the organic SEO of your site, you need to implement high quality in-page and off-page SEO.
14. In-page SEO: Is all the SEO improvements that you make to your website. It doesn’t require collaboration from anyone else.
15. Off-page SEO: Primarily focuses on getting backlinks back to your website from 3rd party websites. Guest posting is a whitehat, effective off-page strategy that you can use to maximize results.
This is the hardest and most time consuming part of SEO, but it produces tremendous results when done right.
SEO Tips: At Accessily, this is our bread and butter. It’s what we specialize in and help others to bring in traffic to their sites. Create a free account to get started.
SEO Terms and Tips Conclusion
These are some of the most common SEO terms used in the world of SEO and content. Make sure to get familiar with them so that you better understand anything you read or hear about SEO. Use our SEO tips to improve your website!